Well, last week I started thinking about Halloween and Santa Claus… You see, our whole perspective on life has changed. Our goal is to align ourselves with His commands and will for our life. We are looking to His word for our daily guidance and following His lead. The changes we have already made have been huge, and they have changed our family--I have never been happier or felt more at peace in my life. I guess that is what comes when we let go and let God.
So, as I was looking for godly advice, I realized that people have pretty strong opinions about Halloween and Santa Claus (not to mention the Easter Bunny), and it is certainly easy to find people to support you in your current opinion. I was not looking for support. I was looking for truth…
How does Halloween fit with our faith and His word? Does it glorify Him?
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God. Philippians 1:9-11
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
My gut was now certainly telling me something I have never felt before! No, this holiday, that I have loved all my life (and is my birthday), was certainly not a way for our family to glorify God. Oh, boy…
How would my husband feel about this? We are changing so many things already…how would our children feel? Isn't it amazing how guilty we feel as parents! Unfortunately that guilt can cause us to not use our best judgment but rather follow the ways of the world. Oh, boy…
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
So, yesterday, one of my dear friends brought up Halloween and Christmas by asking what our plans were now that things were black and white for us--either God's will or the ways of the world.
While she had brought this up long ago, it was at a time when our life was far from being aligned with God's will. Something as "small" as Halloween simply didn't seem to matter--in fact, it didn't make sense.
Now it matters… But, I was just not ready to deal with one more change this month. (Can I list the changes we have already made??? No, that will be a post for another time.) I needed time, so I became irritated with her persistence! Like I am not doing enough already…argh! Give me a break already!!
But, I am thankful! I am thankful that she cares. She cares enough to hold me accountable to His word. That is the kind of influence and friendship I need. Thank you, Pamela!!
So, last night Ed and I talked about it. What a wonderful conversation we had!
This morning I emailed him this:
Thanks for the chat last night!! I was looking up some Halloween info and came across one. Read this blog post about Halloween--the comments, too, esp. the last one. Hmmm… A lot to think about. But, I want to make sure we talk about this soon with the kids--after you make a decision. I love you!
And, this was his response:
Pookster,
Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, national Bacon day, etc.
Halloween, though...hmmm... goes back to pagan holidays celebrating the rising of spirits and while I do not necessarily object to little kids dressing up, they can do this any day. What I do object to is:
•the glorification of spirits to the point of near idolatry[sp].
•the common place celebration of evil influences.
•the societal glorification and acceptance of, getting away from religion, begging and pandering from house to house. Not to mention the continued acceptance of teenagers not even dressing up and just begging for candy, and the danger of walking around to strange houses.
I am on board nixing this tradition, as well as the Easter Bunny and, [gulp, I can't even believe I am saying this... talk about a change of heart] Santa. I guess the only jolly old fat man coming into the house to eat cookies will be me.
I love you.
Life is good and it is changing, but every change is good! It is good because we are placing our LORD at the center of every decision we make.
For this family, the answer to the question is obvious. But, we certainly respect those who arrive at a different answer.
May your day be blessed with the revelation of His word!
Keira
No comments:
Post a Comment