Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
Psalm 127: 3-5
Wow! Our children are a reward from God. A reward! And yet, so often we feel troubled by them or think of them as a burden. I know that is how I have felt, and I repent that. I know that is how many moms feel.
In fact, at a recent bible study, the speaker said with a smile of her face, "I am at this stage in my life where all my kids are in school, and I get the good part of the day to myself."
Following that comment, there was roar of laughter.
Why do we laugh at this? If I had been sitting there a year ago, I would have probably joined in. But, now, I felt a sadness.
Granted, she was referring to time she could spend in the Bible, but seriously, why do we laugh at the joy we have in sending our kids off to school so that we get "me" time?
Is it because deep down we feel guilty or uncomfortable? Our children are a gift of the LORD. It should make us feel uncomfortable.
This weekend, as I was reading Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney, I came across this:
"What words or images come to your mind when you think about your children? Are you inclined like I was to think: work, responsibility, sacrifice, burden, more work?"
She continues:
"Our speech and actions are shaped by our thoughts. Therefore, we must make every effort to think Psalm 127 kinds of thoughts about our children. Thinking as them as a heritage, a reward, and a blessing will alter our attitude and provide fertile soil for our tender love to grow."
Now, I am not saying that the bible study speaker, in any way, does not think of her children as a reward or a blessing. But, we need to, as moms, watch what we say and encourage each other to think of our children as rewards and blessings from our LORD, not as burdens--ones that we are eager to send off in order to get "me" time.
No comments:
Post a Comment