Thursday, September 6, 2012

Raw Milk--Eye Opening Information

Back in June I contacted Jackie Calamos, Owner at Save Your Dairy. For the past four months, we have been buying non-homogenized whole milk in order to be eating healthier--getting back to eating traditional and non-processed foods. The whole time I have been on the look out for a raw milk provider. Yesterday Jackie contacted me and sent some powerful information. I am so excited and had to share!


Top Ten Reasons To Drink Raw Milk

For years, I drank 2% milk. Just regular old milk from the supermarket. Then I switched to organic 2% milk. wanted to avoid bovine growth hormones and pesticides and genetically modified organisms (GMOs). When I got pregnant, I switched to organic whole milk. I figured I needed the extra fat for my growing baby.
After Baby Kate was born, I wanted to feed her as healthfully as possible. Which is when I found out about raw milk. I did a ton of research on milk, and I became absolutely convinced that the healthiest, most nutritious milk to feed my daughter was real raw milk from grass-fed cows.
Here are my top ten reasons to drink raw milk:
(The slides are from thewebsite.).
 RealMilk.com  To download the whole Powerpoint by Lee Dexter and Sally Fallon-Morell, click here
1. Raw milk is vastly more nutritious than pasteurized milk.
Pasteurized Milk is Less Nutritious
2. Raw milk contains enzymes.
“Pasteurization destroys all the enzymes in milk— in fact, the test for successful pasteurization is absence of enzymes. These enzymes help the body assimilate all bodybuilding factors, including calcium. That is why those who drink pasteurized milk may suffer, nevertheless, from osteoporosis.” —
 Sally Fallon-Morell, RealMilk.com
3. Raw milk contains probiotics.
“Bacteria have a reputation for causing disease, so the idea of tossing down a few billion a day for your health might seem — literally and figuratively — hard to swallow. But a growing body of scientific evidence suggests that you can treat and even prevent some illnesses with foods and supplements containing certain kinds of live bacteria. Northern Europeans consume a lot of these beneficial microorganisms, called probiotics (from pro and biota, meaning “for life”), because of their tradition of eating foods fermented with bacteria, such as yogurt. Probiotic-laced beverages are also big business in Japan.” —
 Harvard Medical School, “Health Benefits of Taking Probiotics”
Because pasteurization destroys probiotics (good bacteria), any harmful bacteria present in the milk after pasteurization can and will flourish. On the other hand, published research shows that good bacteria and many other components in raw milk actually destroy pathogens added to the milk.” –
 Sally Fallon-Morell, WAPF
4. Raw milk is easier to digest — even for the lactose intolerant.
Lactose Intolerance & Pasteurized Milk
Raw milk can also help those suffering from asthma, eczema and many other ailments.
It contains “built-in safety systems” that help destroy pathogens:
5. Raw milk is safer than pasteurized milk. 
Raw Milk Has Built-In Safety Systems
While raw milk often gets blamed for food-borne illnesses, the truth is, raw milk is safer than salad:
Raw Milk is Safer Than Salad
6. Raw milk is better for cows.
rawmilk7
I always figured “organic milk” was the very best. But I was wrong. Organic milk often comes from cows in factories. Did you know, for example, that Horizon is a factory farm? I didn’t. I believed they were “happy cows”.
Unless the cows are raised on pasture, they are not healthy and they are certainly not happy. And if a cow is not healthy, how can her milk be healthy?
Confinement Dairy: Jail for Cows
A cow in confinement lives on average for just 3.5 years. A cow grazing on pasture? Twelve years or more.
7. Clean, nutritious milk comes from healthy cows that eat grass, not sick cows eating grain.
Most cows, even at the “organic” dairies, are fed grain — corn and soy. Cows were never meant to eat grain. They are meant to eat grass, and to graze on pasture. When cows are fed grain, even organic grain, it makes them sick.
From Michael Pollan’s, October 15, 2006 in the New York Times:
 The Vegetable-Industrial Complex
The lethal strain of E. coli known as 0157:H7, responsible for this latest outbreak of food poisoning, was unknown before 1982; it is believed to have evolved in the gut of feedlot cattle. These are animals that stand around in their manure all day long, eating a diet of grain that happens to turn a cow’s rumen into an ideal habitat for E. coli 0157:H7. (The bug can’t survive long in cattle living on grass.)
From Nina Planck’s, September 21, 2006 in the New York Times:
 Leafy Green Sewage
In 2003, The Journal of Dairy Science noted that up to 80 percent of dairy cattle carry O157. (Fortunately, food safety measures prevent contaminated fecal matter from getting into most of our food most of the time.) Happily, the journal also provided a remedy based on a simple experiment. When cows were switched from a grain diet to hay for only five days, O157 declined 1,000-fold.
What Confinement Cows Eat
Raw milk can help turn the economy around in rural America.
8. Raw milk is better for farmers. 
Destruction of Rural Life
This is one of my biggest reasons. I don’t know about you, but I hate what’s become of rural America. A few decades ago, people still raised their own food on small farms. Now our small farms have almost been completely wiped out by corporate America. Now instead of small farms with organic vegetables and cows grazing on pasture, we have Wal-Marts full of processed crap.
The Milk Industry
Buy raw milk from a small farm and you are making a difference, folks!
A Rural Revival
9. Raw milk doesn’t go “bad” like pasteurized milk does.
If you leave a gallon of pasteurized milk on the counter overnight, what happens to it? It goes bad! But if you leave a gallon of raw milk out, you can do all kinds of things with it. You can separate the cream. You can make butter, buttermilk, and whey. You can make yogurt. You can make cheese. You can add kefir or filmjolk culture and make all kinds of fermented treats.
I love that I sometimes find a sippy cup of raw milk my daughter left in the car the next day — and I don’t have to waste it — I can just kefir it!
10. Raw milk tastes better!
The first time I tasted real raw milk cheese in Paris, I realized there really is a difference in taste. I’ve always been fond of milk but now I LOVE milk. I’m totally crazy about it.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is super interesting! I have actually never thought that the milk you buy at the grocery store was as healthy as people believed. I've always compared it to breast milk. What "good" stuff would be left in breast milk if it was pasteurized?? Nothing! ;)
    I wish I could get my hands on some raw milk. Just not sure how?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendal, I know! It makes sense that through the homogenization and pasteurization process little, if nothing, healthy would be left. It is an example of how in our modern world, in an effort to make everything safe, we take "everything" healthy out. The problem for us has been that our kids are now so use to the taste and texture of homogenized and pasteurized milk. But, my husband and I are sticking to it (non homogenized milk thus far) and now plan on buying whole raw milk. A great book for you to read would be Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon--it is "The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats." I am not sure where you live or what your state's laws are on raw milk, but it is worth looking into. What we have been indoctrinated to believe as healthy, is not as healthy as we have been told. It has really changed my thinking--getting back to the way God intended us to be nourished. It would be a great idea to start now while your kiddos are little--get them used to raw milk. You may want to read my tab "Nourishment" for some of the information I have learned. Many blessings!

      Delete