Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Reckless or Intentional? Depends on Your Worldview...

Yesterday, the bank that handles our mortgage (it is actually owned by Freddie Mac), responded to our "hardship" paperwork. In order to qualify for a "short sale," you have to prove a hardship--ours was the fact that our income was now half of what it had been, therefore we can no longer afford our home. In addition, the offer on the house is essentially $25,000 less than what we bought it for 9 1/2 years ago (great investment, huh?). Needless to say, we are under water.

So, they responded saying that we do not qualify for "hardship" because I chose to resign and therefore willingly gave up half of our income. Yup, I sure did! Had I been fired, according to the bank, we would have automatically qualified. But, I didn't get fired; I resigned with my husband's support and encouragement because it was the only option for our family. We decided to do what was best for our family and for the education of our two youngest, not for our finances.

Just as missionaries make choices to endure challenging living situations, danger, and possibly poverty for the sake of spreading the Good News, so am I a missionary who must disciple, alongside my husband, our children. God calls us to build His kingdom and that must first begin in the home. We know God will provide for our needs, and we have placed complete trust in Him and have faith in His word.

So, while the bank, and the world, may judge us as reckless, we know that we have never been more intentional as parents.

p. 67 When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling by R.C. Sproul Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment