Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:05
So, how do we truly know if we are on His path and following His lead?
This is a question I have long pondered and truly struggled with. Years ago one of my dear friends explained it very simply. She illustrated the picture of God planting a seed of His will in our hearts--explaining that His will continues to grow to the point where it becomes our heart's desire. That made sense.
Well, ok, but what if our heart's "desire" is to have an affair, buy the newest "whatever" using credit, buy a house that can only be afforded with two incomes, spend more time out with friends than at home, have plastic surgery, or pursue a career? At least one of those sounds terrible, but what about the rest?
How do we actually know if that very desire we are experiencing is God's will or Satan trying, through worldly desires, to distract us or cause havoc in our lives? Simple. If your desire is God's will, it will always line up with His word. Seeking His word before making decisions will make it crystal clear.
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. Psalm 32:8
Opening up and seeking trusted godly advice helps us discern whether it is God's will or a worldly desire we are feeling.
The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice. Proverbs 12:15
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed. Proverbs 15:22
However, we are warned in Colossians 2:8, See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.
With that in mind, we must not treat the bible as a buffet of sorts, picking and choosing the verses that fit only our desires and pridefully calling the rest dated or not applicable. Boy, I have I been down that road! But, now My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.
My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed, those who stray from your commands.
Psalm 119:18-21
No comments:
Post a Comment