Sunday, August 19, 2012

Divine Calling

Just the other day William said to me, "Mom, I wish we had started homeschooling earlier." I knew exactly how he felt. I feel the same way! But, I know that God's timing is perfect and that the past has all led up to this change. I am convinced that homeschooling is a divine calling.

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:14-17

When we seek our God-breathed scripture for our decision-making, we find God's will for our life. If you had asked me a year ago, what I thought of homeschooling, I would have given you an earful based on secular reasoning. In fact, I remember having a conversation with one of my dear friends at least ten years ago (before I became a Christian) about homeschooling. She said that she believed it was biblical and that's what her and her husband were thinking about (how wise she was and still is). I told her, get this, that God's word on homeschooling was dated and didn't apply to modern day, after all, the bible was written so long ago. When I think back to that conversation, I realize how much work God has done in my life. I am certainly growing in Christ Jesus. The Holy Spirit is in me and has opened my eyes to the living and infallible word of God.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Because I taught in public schools for thirteen years, I know what actually goes on in the classrooms and in the hallways, day in and day out. Homeschooling is so different. These are the most beautiful gifts I have experienced while homeschooling:

  • We have more time to spend in His word. They are growing in Christ!
  • Christ is the center of their education--they don't have to learn history or science with our creator taken out being replaced by false theories and teachings (No school is religiously neutral--even public schools).
  • There is less stress, and they are enjoying their school work. 
  • Our day is very fluid and we are not under a state mandated timeline.
  • There is no "homework" (ironic)--when they are done with their work, they are done.
  • We can accomplish so much in less time (NO time wasted on disciplining kids). 
  • My boys are not exposed to bullies and can be free to be who they are. I can tell they are at such peace in their own skin.
  • They can learn at their own level (and own style)--not waste time waiting for others to catch up or feel stressed because they are behind. NO IEP or 504 needed in a homeschool! 
  • My boys are not feeling peer-pressure to: have the newest whatever, wear the newest styles, and act in ways that simply do not glorify God.
  • They are eating and helping make healthy home-cooked lunches everyday. 
  • They are not exposed to girls who wear too little clothing just to keep up with the peer pressure of today's fashion. On a daily basis I saw girls who wore shorts that looked more like underwear or tops that exposed their cleavage. My husband and I want our boys to respect women not learn to lust after them. More on this topic in another post!
  • They are helping with chores and learning life skills.
  • Both of them are very active everyday--riding their bikes, swimming, and playing sports out back.
  • They are not fighting--they actually enjoy each other's company. That is huge!
  • They are both taking Swedish.
  • We can go on field trips or look up things on the internet whenever we want.
  • They can do their lessons anywhere--at the dining table, the couch, the stairs, outside, at Chick Fil-A, at a fellow homeschooling family's house, or on the bed. 
I am sure as time goes on, we will see more and more gifts come from this divine calling. There is truly such freedom in homeschooling. As parents we gain the freedom, through time, relationship, and curriculum choices, to truly raise our children aside from a worldly or secular influence. The education of our children is ultimately our God-given responsibility.

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and will all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6: 4-9

My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.
John 17:15

Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. 
Proverbs 1:8

No comments:

Post a Comment