"What? Why?" I responded while thinking silently, "What about him spending time and learning about God with his peers and youth group? What about socialization?"
Then, I had to slap myself (not literally). This is such proof of just how indoctrinated I have been by society.
On a typical Sunday morning, my husband heads to church early to volunteer. William loves to help him out and be by his side before his class starts, so he will usually ride to church with my husband. Evan and Collier ride with me and, as soon as we get to church, we all head in our own direction.
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7But, how are we able to do this when we send our children off to school during the week and into Sunday school classrooms at church on the weekend? Has God not given the responsibility to us, as Christian parents, to teach our children his Word and commandments with diligence? Will our children become wise by the companion of fools (peers) or sitting in the presence of the wise (parents and adults)?
He who walks with the wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm. Proverbs 13:200
For much of the very same reasons we are homeschooling, my husband has decided that our family will sit together during worship every Sunday, and I am so excited about his decision!
Now, I have to tell you that our pastor has made some changes in the past few years--one is that the first weekend of the month is "Family Weekend" where our church has family-integrated worship. When this first started, I dreaded going to church on that weekend. I felt like I could not focus while I was making sure my children were behaving and listening to the sermon.
My LORD, You sure have changed my perspective.
I realize now, just like with homeschooling, that every moment of the day is our responsibility to teach our children and train them to become adults. Children naturally want to grow up and emulate their parents (their God-given caregivers)--it is only society and the culture we live in that segregates them from their family and stunts their growth--BOTH spiritually and in maturity. While society may encourage the division of the family during the week and on Sundays as well as the perpetuation of childhood through a period called "adolescence," Ed and I are defying that norm and looking to His Word for parenting wisdom.
How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers. Psalm 1:1-3"Collier, yes, you may sit with us, along with your brothers, every Sunday! We are now a family who learns, grows, and worships together!"
Soli Deo Gloria,
Keira
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2If you have not read the mission of Family Integrated Churches, you may be interested in reading it by clicking on the link.
Keira, this has always frustrated me about the church. We have always allowed and encouraged our kids to come into church with us and they often prefer that. It makes sense that we learn together about God's word. Our church has great kids' stuff going on in our new children's building, but I wish there was more encouragement to worship as a family.
ReplyDelete