Thursday, January 17, 2013

Testimony of a Recovering Public School Teacher

Tuesday night I had the privilege of sharing our homeschooling testimony at our church's Home Educators' support group meeting. Here it is--a 15 minute synopsis of this past year and the changes that God has made in our lives…


Hi! My name is Keira, and I am a recovering public school teacher.

Seriously though, I just have to tell you that it is such an honor to be standing here tonight sharing my story with you all—just a year ago I never would have imagined that I would be a homeschooling mom and consequently a recovering public school teacher.

Caroleen asked me to share our story, so I will take you back a year ago when I was reading a book called Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider. When you hear the title, you think that it is simply another "organizing your life" and putting things in boxes type book. It is not. It is inspiring and certainly was pivotal to the change in our mindset. 

Through Tsh's words, stories, and practical ideas, she inspires you to get back to basics and to not let things of this world interfere with that.

Sounds a lot like Romans 12:2 doesn’t it? “And do not be conformed by this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.”

In her book, Tsh shares how she and her husband have purged in order to lead an intentional and organized life--a life that allows them travel, live on one small income, and homeschool. Homeschool, yup! Ok, I had to put on the breaks here… Both my husband and I are public school teachers. That is what we do. We believe in it. In fact, my husband had just earned his doctorate in educational leadership. Homeschool, really?!

Let me just tell you that as an “indoctrinated” public school teacher of 13 years, I had my doubts about homeschooling's effectiveness. But, as a parent, I was beginning to have my doubts about public school's effectiveness. Not ever considering God’s take on teaching and training our children. My husband and I have three amazing boys who all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no one that knows them better than we do. My oldest son, who is identified as gifted, was doing well in public school and was being challenged, but he had experienced bullying at a level that was seriously concerning. Also, some of the science curriculum that he had been taught (indoctrinated according to state standards) goes against God’s creation. Our middle son, who has a reading disability, has such an inquisitive mind--he is like a sponge and loves to learn. His vocabulary and knowledge base is incredible, but he has hated school and always has. Now, don't get me wrong, he has had wonderful teachers and has loved learning at school. Our youngest, who has been identified with ADHD and has anger issues, is very intelligent and has done well academically in school, but he has struggled socially to the point where he doesn't have friends and has very low self esteem. Homeschool, hmm?!

God had clearly put on my heart to search for the truth in His Word. Now what I discovered was that His truth regarding homeschooling was as clear as day—obviously not what the world or the government school system wants you to believe. I realized that doing anything counter to what was already revealed in His Word because of a special feeling of “being lead on a different path” would be an act of disobedience in my call as a parent. God was leading me to His Word in order to put us on His path. Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” His will regarding homeschooling is clearly revealed in Deuteronomy 6:

5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. (Sounds like all day!)

Teaching our children while countering and undoing what the government schools are teaching America’s youth, and were teaching my children 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for 13 years, is impossible. And, that is why the number of Christian youth and young adults is plummeting, and it is because of the daily indoctrination that is occurring in our government schools.

In fact, according to research in Ken Ham’s book Already Gone, two-thirds of our youth growing up in the church today are already lost. Unfortunately that is happening at an increasing rate.

The enemy certainly has his hand in this and we must be reminded of God’s Word when others question our decisions that counter our culture.

We are taught in Proverbs 22:6 to Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Proverbs 1:8 also gives more authority to parents stating, Hear, my son, your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.

God warns us of influence:

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. Colossians 2:8  (Today's science curriculum)

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14

We must surround our children with godly influence.

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither--
whatever they do prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3 

Just the other day I read a comment on a blog—her word’s rang truth and were exactly what I had experienced as a public school teacher.

Erin October 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm “Even the best Christian teachers have their hands tied by the law. No public school teacher can teach how all of creation reveals the glory of God, that the laws of math and physics are constant only because our God is constant and a God of order, or that homosexuality is a sin because God said it is and He is the Creator so He makes the rules, period. No Christian teacher can shield your child’s eyes from scantily clad girls (pretty hard to follow the covenant David made with his eyes when everywhere a teenager’s eye rests are girls revealing what God intended to be covered) when he is in middle school nor can a teacher cover your son’s ears from lewd and filthy comments in the hallways. Before people say, “that’s the real world, they need to get used to it.” Keep in mind that 1) these are children in training, not adults and 2) what God tells us in the book of Proverbs about the company we are to keep. Why put them in a situation that forces them to live counter to what God commands?”Read more: http://getalonghome.com/2012/10/indoctrination-public-schools-decline-christianity-america/#ixzz2HpmsBF2X
A few months ago, my middle son said to me, "Mom, I wish we had started homeschooling earlier." I knew exactly how he felt. I felt the same way! But, I know that God's timing is perfect and that the past has all led up to this change. This is a divine calling and ultimately our God-given responsibility as parents.

So, continuing on our journey…

In the spring we finally decided that we were going to homeschool, my husband, much to my surprise was so supportive from the beginning, he encouraged me to resign and not sign the following year's contract. But, I resisted. After all, there was NO way we could make it on one teacher's salary—it was hard enough on two. I even registered all three of my boys for public school, talked to teachers about my middle son's IEP, and set up a 504 plan for my youngest. I was so focused on Plan B--my back-up plan. The plan we needed for what? In case God didn't follow through? But, wait a minute…how is that faith? I was saying that I had faith and knew God had set us on this path, but I was not showing it through my actions. I was not focused on Plan God.

I started to visualize God looking at me chuckling and thinking, "Okay, Keira, have fun fretting and wasting your time making back-up plans, but you know I still have a plan for your family."
Now, I have to tell you also that my oldest son was adamantly opposed to the idea of homeschooling from the get go, so rather than forcing him, we told him that he had one year, but that he would be home starting in high school. We would be praying for him that God would change his heart. Well, over Thanksgiving weekend Collier and I were snuggling in his bed, and he broke down. We were talking about our upcoming move and how excited he was about it--we were going to be staying at my dad's house since our house sold quickly. We were also talking about school…and he grew silent and buried his head. He had been so reluctant to the idea of homeschooling, but I decided to ask him if he had thought about coming home in January. He started crying and said, "Mom, right before you said that, I was praying to God to give me the words to tell you I wanted to come home." WOW! Praise the Lord! He clearly changed Collier's heart.
So here we are today, more than half a year into our homeschooling adventure. I have all three boys home with me. We sold our house that we could no longer afford on just one teacher’s salary, and are currently staying at my dad’s and getting ready to move into a small rental home down by the university. Some days are tough, but life is tough. All the glory goes to God as I teach my boys each and every day—He equips me with the strength I need to parent and teach my children.
Today we are on a path we never would have imagined and God is leading us every step of the way as we rip ourselves free from conforming to this world and walk in faith knowing that our God has a perfect plan.
I know how surprising it is to many people that we have chosen to homeschool our boys especially since my husband and I are public school educators by trade. It is funny though, the surprise is always followed by, "But, you will do a good job since you are a teacher." Yes, I know I will do a good job, but it is not because I am a teacher. It is because God has certified me, and I am their God-given mother. At times it will not be easy, but again God will equip me with what I need. The glory goes to Him alone. He is guiding me on this path. Just in the past six months I have met so many homeschooling moms, who are not “certified” teachers, and they are doing a wonderful job homeschooling their children. They are certified by God, and I am now privileged to count them and you all as my "colleagues." It is a truly beautiful thing to be surrounded by a group of women who all share the vision of educating our own children.
Today, we are not only a family who homeschools, but we are one who purposely participates in family-integrated worship on Sundays. We realized that, just like with homeschooling, every moment of the day is our responsibility to teach our children and train them to become godly adults. Children naturally want to grow up and emulate their parents (their God-given caregivers)--it is only society and the culture we live in that segregates them from their family and stunts their growth--BOTH spiritually and in maturity. While society (and the enemy) may encourage the division of the family during the week and on Sundays as well as the perpetuation of childhood through a period called "adolescence," Ed and I are defying that norm and looking to His Word for parenting wisdom. Will our children become wise by the companion of fools (peers) or sitting in the presence of the wise (their parents)?
He who walks with the wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm. Proverbs 13:20
Just as missionaries make choices to endure challenging living situations, danger, and possibly poverty for the sake of spreading the Good News, so am I a missionary who must disciple, alongside my husband, our children. God calls us to build His kingdom and that must first begin in the home. We know God will provide for our needs, and we have placed complete trust in Him and have faith in His word.

So, while the world, may judge us as reckless or counter-cultural, we know that we have never been more intentional as parents and are so thankful to be on His path.

No comments:

Post a Comment