Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Good Smack in the Face!

Wow! I just finished listening to "The Shocking Youth Message" preached by Paul Washer. While this was recorded and spoken to youth in 2002, it rings loud and clear for youth and adults alike today. It truly spoke to me, and reiterated what I have witnessed as a teacher and parent, of how worldly our Christianity has become today in America. Paul Washer preaches biblical truth and does not sugarcoat anything--he cares too much to deceive and continue to perpetuate the worldly lies that we have bought into.

In this sermon, Brother Paul, preaches from Matthew 7:13-29. He makes it very clear how narrow the gate and path are.

Brother Paul prays, "I want those that are saved to stop looking around them in a cultural Christianity, that You hate and will spew out of Your mouth, and that they will look at the Word of God and say, 'I will follow Jesus!'"

He goes on to say, "I want to talk to you who claim to be Christians. Does your life honor Jesus Christ? Are you looking in His Word to find out how you're supposed to live?"

This question hit home for me--for almost a year now, our family has been making changes to live by His word. Not viewing the Bible as a smorgasbord. And, as each month passes, and especially in the past few, I crave the changes. Looking to His word, to know truth and how to live as a biblical woman, wife, and mother, is so exciting…and yet frightening. It is like never before. With each change we intentionally make as a family, we become more countercultural. Things we believed in, and supported with fervor, we now know clearly go against God's word. Such a drastic change of perspective can feel incredibly overwhelming, and yet it has also been exciting and liberating. Now, finally, I can truly say, my life honors Jesus Christ. I am a missionary in my own home. Being my husband's helpmeet and discipling my children with concern for their salvation is my entire focus. Soli Deo Gloria!

Brother Paul ends by insisting that we, "Bring every thought, word, and deed into subjection to Jesus Christ."

When you have an hour, I encourage you to watch this message (even if you do not belong to his denomination--we don't). And, if you have middle and high school age kids, watch it with them. But, know that it is not a "feel good" message. It is a "smack in the face" wake up call. Something most of us Christians need today. I know I certainly have plenty more growing to do.

May you be blessed!
Keira

No comments:

Post a Comment