My husband and I have celebrated Christmas all of our lives. We grew up believing Santa brought gifts, and we carried on this tradition with our own children. We loved it! Even after accepting Christ, we perpetuated the myth of Santa. While the actual history of St. Nicholas is amazing, and the tradition itself of Santa is exciting and fun in so many ways, I realize now how much it shifted our focus. Our kids were focused on Santa and what he might bring rather than on the birth of our LORD Jesus Christ. Satan is certainly crafty in his ways of shifting our focus.
Just a few months ago I told the kids that there was no Tooth Fairy, Easter bunny, or Santa. I was somewhat put on the spot as William had lost his tooth and the tooth fairy did not come. My husband and I had already decided to talk to the boys about it; it just happened before we had time to do it together. While it all came as a surprise, I realize that they were most upset about being deceived. All of them took it well, but kept asking questions. They were shocked that we had bought all the presents, hidden the Easter baskets, and had left tooth fairy money. I felt awful--how is it that I could lie about these things but then rebuke them for lying? Lying is lying… No excuses. How could my husband and I participate in these traditions that required us to lie? Satan is certainly crafty in his ways!
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
As Christians we must examine our lives according to scripture rather than live double-minded, conforming to this world.
Ed and I continued to conform to this world through the participation of Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. We expected the boys to believe in these myths AND in Jesus, equally!
Paul instructs, in 2 Timothy 4:2-4 to preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For a time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.
It starts at a very early age.
As Christian parents, if we want our children to believe in the word of God and not conform to this world, then we must teach sound doctrine and be truthful--certainly not tickle their ears with myths by conforming to the world's ways. Remember, Satan is crafty.
So, with a renewed and biblical perspective, we are approaching this Christmas with a focus on the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, not on Santa. After doing some research, I found two beautiful approaches to gift giving.
One, focusing on gifts that represent how Jesus grew during his lifetime as explained in Luke 2:52: And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.
With that, each child would receive a gift representing wisdom (book, devotional, game), one representing stature (clothing, shoes, attire), and one representing favor (toy--perhaps something to share with others). Each representing a way to grow and become more Christ-like.
And the other, the one we have chosen, is based on the gifts, as described in Matthew 2, given to Jesus by the Three Kings--the wise men. Gold representing something of higher value (fit for a king), Frankincense representing spiritual growth such as a devotional, prayer book or journal, or a Bible, and finally Myrrh representing something to do with the body and more practical such as cologne/perfume or clothing.
When we shared our vision with the boys, they loved it. Each of them have a simple list divided by those three categories and will receive three gifts, other than their stocking. We are keeping it simple and focused on Jesus's gifts and his birthday.
We certainly pray that this helps our whole family focus on the reason for this season rather than on extreme consumerism.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Keira
P.S. If you are interested in reading a beautiful way another family is choosing to intentionally celebrate Christmas and giving, enjoy Kendal's post. I am in awe of their plan.
Love this! God is so good and He is doing such a mighty work in your family! wow!
ReplyDelete