First of all, what does lament mean? According to the Online Dictionary, it means:
v.tr.
1. To express grief for or about; mourn: lament a death.
2. To regret deeply; deplore: He lamented his thoughtless acts.
n.
1. A feeling or an expression of grief; a lamentation.
2. A song or poem expressing deep grief or mourning.
I thought about this and came to realize how powerful a recent time of lament was for me--it changed my life. A year ago, as I was lamenting over the craziness of our life and the worsening of our public school system, I came to see God's Word. In the midst of my frustration, I realized that I was part of something that was falling short of God's will. So as I lamented before God, I humbled myself, fixed my eyes on Him, and He showed me His will.
I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD;
I make supplication with my voice to the LORD.
I pour out my complaint before Him;
I declare my trouble before him.
Psalm 142: 1-2
For my eyes are toward You, O God, the Lord;
In You I take refuge; do not leave me defenseless.
Psalm 141:8
Make me know Your ways, O LORD;
Teach me Your paths.
Psalm 25:4
And, I was set free!
"Bring my soul out of prison,
So that I may give thanks to Your name;
The righteous will surround me,
For You will deal bountifully with me."
Psalm 142:7
Today, I give thanks to God for my times of lament. They stop me in my tracks and help me fix my eyes on Him. They help me focus on what truly matters!
Are you in the midst of lamenting? Find purpose in it as you listen to God and look to His Word for His will during this challenging time.
Blessings,
Keira
No comments:
Post a Comment