William tends to his bunny and our dog, Sam, and helps with making meals, doing laundry, and other chores. Evan takes care of his garden--lots of melons in the works--and helps do laundry, make meals and dry dishes.
Collier is still working on math and his history--he will be done with his school year by the end of the month. In addition to that, he is tending to his garden, which is amazing!! I am beginning to think that organic (and non-GMO) gardening is a future business for him (and maybe our whole family). Already, in the past few weeks, he has earned $39 on just 5 orders (he is saving up for a bass guitar)!! Go, Collier!!
With summer comes a new bible study through our church. This summer we are using Todd Wilson's Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe--the book could easily be renamed Lies Moms Believe though. Most of the lies homeschooling moms believe are ones any mom believes. One of the sections talks about being REAL--real--as in vulnerable, authentic, true--not superficial or hiding behind facades. REAL!!
Now I have always considered myself pretty REAL and transparent, but since I have consistently received remarks about how I seem to have a perfect life and marriage, or that I have it all together all the time, I realize that people, even those close, don't really see the REAL me…this is what I struggle with...
- I am tired! But, God renews my energy every day!
- I am so frustrated of being poor and depleting our savings! But, God seems to work miracles to provide. We depend on Him to meet our needs e.v.e.r.y s.i.n.g.l.e w.e.e.k!
- I am disturbed with feeling like I am walking into a land mine every time I go grocery shopping. I am simply appalled what is called "food" these days--our future is eating that, and we wonder why our nation has so many allergies, is obese, and is so sick. But, God has opened my eyes to the beautiful food He has created for us--we have made incredible changes in this past year and are healthier because of it.
- I am constantly "on" training my boys. They are sweet amazing kids, but they sure are not always nice to each other. In fact, some days I feel like a referee. Earlier this week one of them spent two days in his room--refusing to do something we asked him to do--stubborn child! That was fun! But, God does not command us to do anything without providing us the support and strength. I repose on Him each and every day!
- I am disappointed that my boys are constantly exposed to underdressed girls and women--God help us this swim season! Hello! Modesty is a biblical mandate and yet, even at church, girls are wearing "jeanderwear"--jeans shorts that really should be considered underwear--yes, they are that tight, that short and up the crack. Why is this acceptable? Style is one thing, but, again, modesty is a biblical mandate. Our, or our daughter's, clothing should never cause our boys or men to be tempted to think impure thoughts. Is it really a wonder that men struggle so badly with porn these days or that human trafficking is growing? We, women, have the power to honor God, our bodies, and men by being modest. Ok, off my soap box. But, God is so good--He has equipped Ed and me (through a recent Bible study) with His Word and the tools to teach our boys the beauty of purity and modesty.
- I am not happy about my flabby stomach--yes, I know, those of you who know me are probably rolling your eyes. It is still flabby to me…grrr. But, God loves me and made me just the way I am. And, my hubby loves me just the way I am--I am so grateful for that!
- I feel for my husband who is so frustrated with his low pay, the state of education and his work situation. But, God is using Ed in amazing ways--and that is what it is all about! Soli Deo Gloria!
Ok, I best stop for now. That's me though--REAL--not perfect!
According to the book, there are two sides to being REAL, though--the "Teller and the Listener." It is one thing to tell, but the other part is listening to others and allowing them to be REAL. Doing both opens the door to authentic, deep relationships. I have to admit--being REAL here--I have been and need to work on the listening part (without offering a solution or advice). So, here's to being REAL and having a great summer!
Soli Deo Gloria,
Keira
According to the book, there are two sides to being REAL, though--the "Teller and the Listener." It is one thing to tell, but the other part is listening to others and allowing them to be REAL. Doing both opens the door to authentic, deep relationships. I have to admit--being REAL here--I have been and need to work on the listening part (without offering a solution or advice). So, here's to being REAL and having a great summer!
Soli Deo Gloria,
Keira
No comments:
Post a Comment