Wednesday, April 3, 2013

James 1:27

I am not sure how to even begin... I certainly have been thinking about how to write this post for some time now. Well, I guess it's been since I wrote this post back in February when I realized, by opening our minds (to God's Word), we have finally let go of our worldly ways and views. In the past year, we have been in the process of reforming our family. And, as we reform our family, we are continuously looking to His Word for His Will. In the past, as cultural Christians, we would look to the people around us…and follow the herd. Goodness, it certainly is easier to simply fit in and do what everyone else is doing. But, aren't we called to stand out and not to conform to this world?
Therefore do not be partakers with them: for you were formerly darkness, but you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light Ephesians 5:7-8
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2 
One of the "follow the herd" choices we made, back in 2004, was to not have any more children by having my husband go through a vasectomy procedure. And, even as recent as June of last year, I went through a procedure which permanently closed my womb--an endometrial ablation which destroys the lining of the uterus. Since that time I have been "tormented" (a bit of a strong word) by the fact that we had made a decision that we believe was in fact not ours to make (certainly not what the world wants us to think). We had not left the size of our family up to the Lord; instead, we followed the herd. And, we certainly, according to the world's standards, had exceeded our family size limit by already having three kids. Yet, in fact, Psalm 127: 3-5 says,
Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them;
They will not be ashamed
When they speak with their enemies in the gate.

The bible clearly illustrates that God opens and closes the womb, and yet, we felt that was our decision to make…

Alas, God still uses our sin for His purpose.
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
And what happened was God clearly planted the seed for fostering last June--within a week of my procedure. Since then, fostering/adopting has been heavy on my heart and many encouragements have come up over the months, but with our move and a possible job/career change for my husband, I did not understand how it could possibly work…and still don't--especially financially. But, then again, that has been this whole past year…we are walking in faith and God has faithfully provided. If He truly wants to keep us here and to foster and adopt through this agency, I know He will lead us on that path and light the way.
Your word is a lamp to my feet  And a light to my path. Psalm 119:105
 In the meantime, we are excited (and nervous) about the prospect of providing a loving home for orphans. Monday, I made the call in order to start the l.o.n.g. process. But we are motivated by our calling in James 1:27:
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! Are you sure that you aren't Mormon?! :) Let me just say welcome to the rollercoaster ride! The process is LONG but SO worth it! What agency are you working with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny, Jenn! Thank you so much for your support--I might have to pick your brain one day! We have connected with Christian Family Care.

      Delete
  2. Keira,
    Have you ever heard of New Horizons for Children? It is a Christian organization that matches Christian families up with Eastern Europe or Chinese orphans. Then these orphans visit you in your home, for 4-5 weeks, and you have the chance to show them what a good, loving, Christian family is like. You get to show them they are loved, despite their circumstances and that God does have a plan for them. It is often said it is a mission trip in reverse. You don't go to them, they come to you! Then you can show them our country, the opportunities here, etc. I stumbled across the site about a year ago, and feel that God is calling me to host an orphan from Latvia. I know I will one day, but I am still struggling in my walk with God right now, so I will have to wait. But, perhaps it is something you and your family would enjoy. It is not an adoption program, but if you decide that the child (or children, there are sibling sets, too) are a good fit for your family, the organization can lead you in the right direction with that. Sometimes the children are adopted by others from the host parents' church. Regardless, take a look at their website and Facebook page! Truly a remarkable thing!

    Jami

    https://www.facebook.com/Orphanhosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jami,

      Thanks for sharing! I will be sure to check out that hosting program--what an interesting way of doing things. Love the idea!

      Blessings,
      Keira

      Delete